HIGHLIGHT: DAVID CHIPPERFIELD

HIGHLIGHT: DAVID CHIPPERFIELD

David Chipperfield (18 December 1953) is a British architect and founder of David Chipperfield Architects (1985). The award-winning firm with over 180 staff is based in London, Milan, Berlin, and Shanghai. Before founding his own practice Chipperfield has worked in offices of Norman Foster, Richard Rogers, and Douglas Stephen. Nowadays he is teaching and lecturing worldwide. In 2004, Chipperfield was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE).

Chipperfield is known for his minimalist approach in design with an expertise in museum construction and restoration. Some of the most well-known works include the Gridiron building at St. Pancras Square in London; the Musée des Beaux-arts in Reims, France; and the Neues Museum restoration in Berlin, winner of the 2011 Mies van der Rohe Award.

BBC Scotland Headquarters

Glasgow (2007)

The building’s design aims to encourage creative interaction between its many occupants by connecting all the workspaces. This is achieved by means of an imposing central atrium configured as a tiered sequence of steps, platforms and terraces crafted from local red sandstone. Circulation and communication through the building and between office floors is facilitated by this promenade, which not only offers informal meeting areas but also encourages movement between spaces, giving visual representation to the public aspect of the building.

Neues Museum

Berlin, Germany (2009)

The Neues Museum on Berlin’s Museum Island was designed by Friedrich August Stüler and built between 1841 and 1859. Extensive bombing during the Second World War left the building in ruins. The key aim of the rebuilding, starting in 1997, was to recomplete the original volume, and restore the parts that remained.The restoration and repair of the existing is driven by the idea that the original structure should be emphasized in its spatial context and original materiality – the new reflects the lost without imitating it.With the reinstatement and completion of the mostly preserved colonnade at the Eastern and Southern side of the Neues Museum, the pre-war urban situation is re-established to the East.

Kaufhaus Tyrol

Austria (2010)

The historic centre of Innsbruck along Maria-Theresien-Straße is characterised by a picturesque town structure, which has grown since mediaeval times. The Kaufhaus Tyrol as a large inner-city building integrates itself into the existing context with sensitivity and power. Structure is given to the long, stretched front through three façade sections which are at a slight incline to each other, continuing the historic structure of Maria-Theresien-Straße, which has grown irregularly throughout time. Colonnade-like façade columns with a large cross section form the main architectural characteristic of the building.

Amorepacific Headquarters

South Korea (2017)

The new headquarters for Amorepacific, Korea’s largest beauty company, is located in the centre of Seoul.The form of the building is both abstract and gestural. Focusing on a single, clear volume, the proportions of the building have been carefully developed around a central courtyard to maximise the effectiveness of natural ventilation and daylight. Three large urban openings connect this central void with the exterior surroundings, providing views over the city and the mountains in the distance and therefore establishing a sense of orientation and belonging. The design elaborates the social, cultural and professional ambitions of the company by combining the workplace with other communal activities.

Inagawa Cemetery

Japan (2017)

Located on a steep slope of the Hokusetsu Mountains, the Ingawa cemetery was laid out in terraces. A monumental staircase is the main axis of the entire project. It halves the cemetery and leads to the shrine at the highest point. The visitor center and chapel, also aligned with the central staircase, represent the counterpoint to the shrine. They are designed as a marked threshold between the outer world and a quieter space within for contemplation.

James Simon Galerie

Berlin, Germany (2018)

As a continuation of Friedrich August Stüler’s forum architecture, the James-Simon-Galerie serves as the new entrance building for Museum Island, completing the ensemble between the Kupfergraben canal and Neues Museum. Together with the ‘Archaeological Promenade’, it forms the backbone of the master plan that was developed in 1999 and adopted as the basis for all further planning on Museum Island. The architectural language of the gallery adopts historic elements of the Museum Island.

post a comment

Wordpress Social Share Plugin powered by Ultimatelysocial